SMT’s SportsMedia Augmented Reality Technology (SMART), is a powerful, real-time virtual graphics insertion platform custom designed for but not exclusive to sporting events, newscasts, award ceremonies and concerts.
SMT’s SMART solution allows virtual graphics or signage to reside within a live telecast utilizing patented image-stitch technology on specially configured cameras. It ensures that inserted virtual images are retained as seamless, visually stunning graphics presented within the video scene environment even when the interface is interrupted. The SMART system offers two main applications, the “Line” and Virtual Insertion Publisher (V.I.P.)
The SMART Line System produces and positions the yellow line on a football field identifying the first down and is easily the most recognized marker used in every football broadcast. The SMART Line system also produces the scrimmage line, kicker maximum line and, in golf, tracks or highlights the ball from the putter to the cup as well as marks the longest drive on a specific hole.
SMART Virtual Insert Publisher (V.I.P.) is SMT’s augmented reality technical solution for inserting and simultaneously displaying multiple on-air virtual graphics into live video or venue JumboTrons. SMT creates the virtual environment allowing for producers, marketers and advertisers to take control of when, where and how their content appears onscreen.
SMART enables virtual HD capability including generation and transition from traditional 2D screen space graphics as seen in lower thirds, to virtual field space images. All of this can be achieved without any changes required on the televised environment.
The SMART platform won an Emmy for NBC Sunday Night Football in 2006.
- SMT produces proprietary software programs for accurate calculations resulting in perfect graphic image placement anywhere onscreen.
- On a golf green, a depiction of a putting line is presented as a live graphical insertion that highlights the best putt line
- All major input and output formats are supported in both SD and HD (HD in 1080i and 720p), PAL, NTSC and all commonly used HD formats and production environments
- Down & distance indicators with direction of play complete with team logos and colors palette.
- Field goal statistical graphics (kicking zones, career long stats, virtual netting)
- Red-zone graphics with statistical information including current and recent drives
- Virtual play & drive clock imagery
- Sponsor logos and advertising messages
- Graphics or text placed between goal posts, such as “New NFL Rules this year”
- Supports any image design or color change with SMT’s dynamic color filtering system providing constant updates to color tables and integration into SMART’s graphics engine.
- Produces stunning image elements for JumboTron displays at event venues.
- Provides virtual enhancement for live video augmented by custom graphics, company logos, network ID graphics, brand images and real-time stats.
- V.I.P. can also be utilized within any video scene environment including parades and other outdoor events.